Saturday, February 6, 2010

Embrace thy genes


I have cankles. My sister has cankles, Mrs. Steinman has cankles, some of my aunts have cankles, some cousins have cankles, both grandmothers have cankles - I mean it is pretty evident here that this gene was not going to skip me. As a young girl you don't really notice the cankles (ladies who are in this lucky club and feel differently please let me know). I guess you start noticing them in your teens, high school perhaps. I honestly can't recall the exact moment I realized I had cankles but unfortunately as I get older they get more...uh, authentic.

Now I am not one of those girls that obsesses about her body and complains about everything. If I could change anything on my body it would most definitely be my cankles and to be fair they're really not that bad. But that is the only thing I would change. Oh yeah, and my bat wings too, if I could, but that is it! I swear.

Cankles have been an obsession for Koosh and I for quite some time now. Her cankles are more authentic than mine, but she has longer legs but who's really keeping score here right, certainly not me.....

Whenever one of us spots a celebrity with cankles we are sure to happily show one another and say, "Look! Even these famous, talented beautiful women know how to rock their canks."




Then you start forming some cankle pride. Not that I would choose to KEEP my cankles if I could have a re-do with the big guy upstairs, but sometimes it's fun laughing in disgusted yet endearing amazement of whose cankles are bigger. Earlier this year while in Indy visiting family me, Koosh and our cousin Sarah threw down and compared authenticities.....

You decide who claims the crown. Women out there (and some men I might add) are now seeking cosmetic surgery to reduce their cankles. Most notably a woman and her surgeon appeared on Good Morning America last summer to tell her story. Man does she look stoked. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_hs7pvy_8c And she has zero issues with having paid $8,000 for the procedure. To be honest I would have taken that money and gone on an international adventure but to each their own. I personally don't think the results are that great, however this one is a pretty good example, but still, this woman's procedure cost $16,000! http://www.5min.com/Video/Cankle-Liposuction-Explained-125205199

It'll be interesting to see where the cankle trend heads next. I am sure this is not the last we'll hear of them. I don't think they will ever be considered sexy, but let me tell you, it's all about camouflage (no ankle strap shoes!) and plane old embracing who you are. Love those cankles, even if it is sometimes a love-hate relationship because, baby they're YOURS.

3 comments:

  1. Did not know about the cankle procedure. I would be so afraid the Doc would make them worse. At this point, I gave up and wear only pants to hide those beastie cankles. Not a fair cankles contest TAKE OFF THOSE SOCKS!!! so Happy to see Katie Holmes is in the club

    The gene is very testy little burger! Somebody do some research and get rid of that nasty little imperfection. I would give anything to wear a pretty little mini skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh oops the title says embrace your genes. Okay I will, but they still make me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this has made me feel good about my cankles! and i don't even have them! now if you could do a post about all the pasty white women out there...that is one i would REALLY appreciate... ;)

    ReplyDelete