Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Price-points in the finance world


Friday was my last day with King of Yelking, however I don't think this will be the last time I will see him or you will hear of him. He is a really great guy. He had so many complimentary things to say about me, my intelligence and professionalism. Damn, everyone should have a Yelker in their life. He paid me good money to start a blog and on top of it told me how great I was.

Since his office, as always is a place of amusement and constant study, I thought I'd share this last little tid-bit with you. A possible new business associate decided to send Yelker a thank you letter in the mail. Yelker's office is located in midtown right at W. 50th Street. The possible new business associate sat cozily in his office up on W. 60th Street. Ten blocks. Yes, ten blocks. I once walked 44 blocks in a rage during fashion week because the D train dumped me in Harlem instead of my normal stop. That adventure and its accompanying story is for an entirely different post though.....

So this thank you letter that was sent from W. 60th, just a mere 10 blocks downtown was not sent via postal mail. You know the kind of delivery that would cost a rough 42 cents. Instead, for whatever reason this thank you letter was sent via UPS. And how much did this cost?? $13.65! Yes, nearly $14 to send a typed, thin little piece of paper. Welcome to the world of finance people where $14 is totally reasonable for sending a piece of paper the distance that would take a person 10 minutes to walk. That's more than a dollar a block. Hmm...something to look into.

1 comment:

  1. I too think it's absolutely ridiculous! I work in an office and am amazed how wasteful employees are. Just think how much cheaper goods and services would be if employees weren't so lazy. Think of the savings that could be passed on to customers! What a novel idea----saving customers some money!

    ReplyDelete