Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Don't get lost in the haze ladies

Did you watch the Jenny Sanford interview with Barbara Walters last week? Mrs. Sanford, in my opinion, is a cold fish, no wonder her husband went looking elsewhere. Ok, that was harsh and you know what, he sounds like a little weirdo himself. Let's start with Senator Mark Sanford - wait is he still a senator, no I don't think so, hmm...well someone needs to do their research.

Anyhow...it's somewhat common knowledge now that he decided to remove 'forsaking all others' in his wedding vows, you know the part that says you will be FAITHFUL to your spouse. He decided to take that out and lil' ole Jenny thought it was "a bit odd," but she got past it. What?! That would be one giant red flag that I would heed and believe me, I have ignored many a red flag, it's my specialty when it comes to dating, but the buck would definitely stop there.

Let's also point out that Mark's idea of a good Christmas gift for his new wife was half a drawing of a bicycle that she would one day receive. For the next special occasion Jenny received the other half and then finally the real bike, all $25 of it from the nearest Play-It-Again-Sports.

Now I don't know the background story here. Jenny, with good reason could be leaving out points of nostalgia, to make her husband look like the sack of shit that he is, but perhaps this was early in their marriage when they didn't have much money and the bike and its respective drawings were in reference to some flirtatious inside joke. I don't know! This is how my brain operates - so many 'what ifs' or 'maybes'...thanks MOM - I inherited this from you, you know.

Let's also discuss what a moron he is for emailing his Argentine mistress. Do you want to get caught? Do you want this stuff out there for everyone to read? Did you think about your kids?! Way to set an example for your four sons. Jenny makes a good point that of course Mark would think this Argentine yummy hunny (who happens to look like Jenny, erieeee...) is his soulmate. I mean, what do they really have to deal with in life besides how horny and revved up they are for their next encounter? Forbidden lust is the best, come on Mark, get real.

Now let's talk about Jenny....she was a 23 y/o from the solid suburbs of Chicago when she moved to New York. She blazed her way onto the male dominated Wall Street scene in the 80s, quickly elevating herself to an executive role. Sounds like a solid chic, at least in terms of being smart, strong and ambitious. So what was she thinking when she met an unemployed, 28 y/o from South Carolina at a Hamptons party? I've been to the Hamptons, especially a party like this and I can tell you what most of these independent, successful women are looking for - a husband! These parties are just ooozing with women foaming at the mouth to find that Ken doll who will hold their hand and wear those (awful) pastel whale pants at the next Hamptons BBQ. It's sick.



I think a marriage ending is always sad. I have good examples all around me of people that work very, very, VERY hard to make it work. So to me, it is sad to watch it end and I am sure those four boys are devastated to witness what has happened to their family. Honestly though, I think Mark and Jenny Sanford sound like two of the weirdest people out there and I am surprised they made it last as long as they did.

Now - a huge point that no one has mentioned nor have I read it anywhere. Maybe it was brought up on the View this week (haven't had a chance to watch it yet) but did anyone else find it odd that Barbara Walters was interviewing Jenny about her senator husband having an illicit affair with another woman? You know, Barbara Walters was the other woman with a married senator for many years in the 1970s. Go on, Google it if you don't believe me. I just find this to be an interesting twist and I can only hope Jenny brought it up between takes. Hopefully there is still a shred of that Wall Street pit bull in her.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice twist...who woulda thunk it....but I think you nailed it...keep em coming

    Melvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 things -
    1. I told you I would read when I had a chance and you sucked me, I read all your posts in one sitting... very nice, even if I don't agree with everything you said, I could still hear "your" voice and I liked it.
    2. I laughed outloud at three points. One was when I saw the picture of the cankles (help me) and the second was when you said you have ignored many a red-flag in your dating experiences... still laughing about that one.. and the third was the part about receiving half a picture of a bike for a present... ahhh, so reminds me of receiving(or shall I say not receiving but discovering the purchase of) a 300 dollar bow and arrow for Valentine's day because we were too poor to TGI-Fridays for dinner...
    Look forward to more!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, and most importantly, I have enjoyed your writings immensely. Up until now, I haven't felt there was anything to take issue with but now I must. In the first paragraph, you made the statement that she was a cold fish and no wonder her husband looked elsewhere. Having been on the receiving end (the one who was cheated on)twice----it took a long time to feel good enough about myself to know that it was "his issue" and his "weak character" that led him to make such a poor and hurtful choice. Anyhow----just a sore spot with me and I had to get it off my chest. I wish more people would not blame the one who was cheated on and instead put the blame where it belongs--on the cheater!

    ReplyDelete