Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Earmark of the week

Ok folks, in my opinion if you are over 25 you should know who your state senators are. This age should probably be pushed to 21 or even 18, but since I am the conductor of this train and ruler of my universe I will push it to 25. Even though it wasn't until YESTERDAY that I knew who BOTH my state senators were. Kirsten Gillibrand and Charles Schumer.Something I like about Senator Kirsten Gillibrand: she posts all of her earmark requests online for US, the people to read. Something I don't like about Senator Gillibrand: she is requesting federal funding for broadband Internet in corn fields. Now I am OK with the Net having a strong presence in the corn fields, heck I am from Indiana so don't you be talkin' smack about corn fields, however I am not sure if we need to be spending $418 million on this little (pet) project. I mean aren't we dealing with some major issues: unemployment, terrorism, immigration a ginormous deficit, not to mention Daddy-o will be PISSSSSED if Medicare disappears. I wonder if these children of the corn have cell phones and laptops. Probably. Did you know you can get high-speed wireless Internet for $40 p/month from your cell phone provider? See, problem solved. If these people want the Internet they can go and buy it and instead, we can use the $418 million to pay off some debt. Just my opinion folks. You can see the earmark (also supported by the Prez himself) in a press release from Senator Gillibrand's office: http://gillibrand.senate.gov/newsroom/press/release/?id=2c05b42f-0005-45a5-b06e-6abbff232a1a

And if you don't think this one is bad you should hear about the funding she wants for grape research. Yea you read that right. Grapes.


1 comment:

  1. Do these elected officials have any sense...does it take this simple query to explain why we have a massive deficit???
    Well done my friend

    ReplyDelete