Thursday, February 4, 2010

Eavesdropping in a financial office

So as I work for money this month, I am filling in as an executive assistant to a high powered CEO of a financial company. This man is great. He is so hyper and loud. He yells all day, even though he just means to be talking. I have labeled it yelking.

Since I sit right outside his office and he is in the habit of yelking I hear everything. Today he was on speaker phone, which is great because this really kicks up the volume of his yelking. He was on the line with one of his sales reps telling her she couldn't read her own emails.
Take this as an example kids, you should try your best to never take anything personally while at work. I am still working on this big time.

King of Yelking: Carol, in that email he is clearly telling you to buzz off.

Carol: No, he said he would keep us in mind and that he found our product interesting. So I followed up.

King of Yelking: Carol, he is telling you to buzz off.Do you not see this in the letter?? I mean hell, someone's gotta read through this shit for you [laughter]."

{Speaker phone now off....random ok's, yea's, sounds good from King of Yelking, then...}

King of Yelking: Ok, have fun in the Everglades, talk to you later. Bye.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of yelkers - they abound everywhere and are always a fantastic source of entertainment. It's people watching with the volume turned up (pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think yelking came about due to contemporary "office rules" ie you can't have scotch on the rocks or smoke cigs in the office anymore. And yelking is the only way they can relieve stress... a la MAD MEN!

    ReplyDelete