Monday, March 29, 2010

Hartelijk gefeliciteerd!

If my Dutch ancestors were here today that is what they would say to me. What does it mean? Happy Birthday! I turn 28 today...well in approx 6 more hours I will officially be 28. I have received so many calls, texts, Facebook messages, cards, etc. from my friends and family. I am such a lucky girl! One text conversation that I just have to share with you was very funny and telling of my age as I reflect on how much parenting responsibilities have changed.

My Dad texted me Happy bday about an hour ago. I wrote back saying, 'thanks Dad. 28 yrs ago Michael Jordan won the NCAA championship for North Carolina and oh yea you became a Dad. :)' I always bring up this career milestone game for MJ in reference to my birthday because my mom always laughs saying that my dad was by her side when it counted, like when the pain was unbearable and when I actually came into the world. However, Mrs. Steinman was in labor with me for a whopping 17 hours so how did my Dad fill his time? Why watching the NCAA basketball games of course. So while he was wandering around the hospital glued to various TVs my mom would have to send gopher nurses out to go find him. My how the times have changed......I don't think most men would get away with that these days.

So the real funny factor kicked in when my Dad responded back via text and said, 'oh what a memory....and the next day I caught a large mouth bass.'

I let this digest in my brain and I think 'WHAT?!' You went fishing the day after your first child was born????? Would that even fly now that we are in 2010? Hell, no. I mean I see baby showers now that include beer and husbands. I personally do not plan taking my own baby showers that far, ladies only please, but by George my husband would not be off on a 10-hour fishing trip the day after I squeezed out a baby and now all it does is keep me awake at night.

My how the times have changed......

Anyone else have funny birth stories?

5 comments:

  1. Yes,

    After my first child was born I took him down the the catholic church for a swift molestation....then I avoided any sort of police issue because I am holy and to not answer to laws in the country....I just continue to tell lies to little childern about how the earth was created...who can marry who...i am the Moral compass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this story belongs in a movie/tv show, as a matter of fact, it sounds like someone should make a whole movie out of da Mickster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the thing-----I'm not sure today's way is better. Think about this----maybe we're growing a new crop of weenies. I haven't seen any decrease in the divorce stats just because men and beer are allowed at baby showers. In fact, I think Mrs. Steinman is an incredibly strong woman and if she had been pampered---maybe she wouldn't be who she is today. Call me old fashioned---but I like it that I had to earn a trophy and didn't get one just cause I paid to play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I know is Mama Marie said she would never do it again! Three months of bed rest and popping out two at the same time...I'd be good and done too! It took my Mom a good long time to enjoy a Wendy's cheeseburger again--my Dad devoured not one, but two during her hours of agony. I am pretty sure she sent him fishing after that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is the behavior your father exhibited 28 years ago had a positive effect on your upbringing in that it elicited a well thought out articulate writing 28 years later....happy B day...what a gas

    Jack

    ReplyDelete