Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I am going to look like a mermaid this summer

Diets. I think of women who talk, talk and TALK about diets but never really do them. That is why I have never done a fad diet because I don't want to be in that category. You know the woman with 85 cats, no life and constantly talking about the new diet she will start.

As some of you know I am at a new financial office now. A hedge fund, which is great. Big budgets, great amenities and the employees...young, smart, studly, men. The ratio is great too. There are two women in the office, me and Feeney, whom I get along with in every way. Could you ask for a better work situation??


Monday Feeney told me she was starting the Southampton Diet. I want to lose a few for this summer so I told her, ok I'll try it out with you. I love to research so I got online to see what this thing was all about. Not the Hamptons Diet most of you are probably thinking about. No. The Southampton Diet is old as dirt when it comes to new fad diets...it's been around since 1984 and turns out it was developed by some quack doc who died of a drug overdose while overweight and bloated in his swanky pad. Yikes! Here's a link to his obituary from the NYT if you are interested in learning more: http://www.nytimes.com/1994/03/01/obituaries/dr-stuart-m-berger-health-advice-columnist-40.html?pagewanted=1 Not sure I want to trust him with my bod. Especially when one of the afternoon snacks is Melba toast and a cup of beef broth - gag. Now, for the record Feeney and her family members have turned to the Southampton Diet and it has worked effectively for all of them so I am not saying it doesn't work. I just know that it's not right for me.


So now I have reverted back to what I lovingly call the Angie Diet. It really isn't a diet at all which is why it works for me. It's just the way we should be eating all of the time. High lean protein, leafy greens, veggies, low-sugar fruits, whole grains, water, tea and low fat yogurt/dairy. NO sweets, sugars, fried food, soda, fast food, heavy pastas, extra cheese or anything else I love to eat. However, whenever I do get on the Angie Diet I always see results and the first result I feel right away is light and comfortable. Immediately this feeling of bloat disappears. I am comfortable again and I don't feel my stomach protruding because I overate per usual. With that said, portion control plays a big role in the Angie Diet as well. If dining out, before you even begin to eat, push half of the portion to the other side of your plate and know that that half is going home with you and will be eaten the next day for lunch or dinner.


As I embark on the trusty Angie Diet I will keep you informed on what I am eating, learning, doing and LOSING or gaining, as in lean muscle, yes!


So far for the day I have enjoyed the following:


  • Coffee with hazelnut creamer and splenda

  • Egg white omelet with cheddar and broccoli (100 cals)

  • Fage 2% yogurt with strawberries

And here is a helpful link regarding sugar content in fruit. Don't think that all fruit is ok to eat if you are looking to lose. You want to eat the fruit with the lowest sugar content. This means no bananas, pomegranates, cherries, grapes, pears and a few others. Who knew!? Fruits you can count on: grapefruit, raspberries, blackberries, melons, cantaloupe, strawberries, peaches and blueberries to name a few.

For the entire list of fruit look here: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatfruit.htm

I'll also be staying active while on the Angie Diet. With this great weather in NYC I enjoyed a nice run around the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir. How fitting.....

The run was 1.56 miles. See the map below.

1 comment: